He walked into a police station the day after Lee Rigby was killed in Woolwich and told an officer of his intentions, a court heard.
A Muslim convert planned to assassinate Prince Harry using a low-calibre pistol in a plot he named Operation Regal, a court heard today.
Ashraf Islam, 31, formerly known as Mark Townley, confessed to police he had “advanced plans” to kill the Prince.
Belfast-born Islam walked into a police station the day after Drummer Lee Rigby was killed in Woolwich, south-east London, and told an officer of his intentions.
Islam described Drummer Rigby as a “soft target” and said he didn’t agree with the attack on the serviceman.
He eventually revealed he intended to kill Prince Harry because the third in line to the throne “had blood on his hands”.
A document found on Islam’s computer said: “Aim for target. No civilians to be injured.
“Dress code is the the biker look. Use low-calibre pistol at close range. Not to be viewed as Islamist extremist.”
Islam, who changed his name by deed poll in 2010, arrived in the UK from Thailand the day before his arrest.
Prosecutor Lynne Townley told Isleworth Crown Court: “He said he has been watching the Horse Guards Parade and planned to disarm an officer whilst disguised as a tourist rather than bringing a gun into London.
“He spent 10 days in Thailand searching Prince Harry and his whereabouts.
“He used his time in Thailand to get his fitness to a higher level. He planned to send a phone warning to create a diversion.”
Miss Townley explained Islam, after landing at Heathrow, checked into a Travelodge and at 11am the following morning went to Hounslow police station in west London.
“He told duty officer PC Boyne that he wanted to talk about a murder. Miss Townley added: “He said he was being monitored by UK security.
“He was asked for further details of what these plans were and he said it was the murder of a high-profile person.”
Islam, who is separated from his wife and young child back in Northern Ireland, decided to confess after feeling “scared and nervous” on the morning of May 23.
He said he believed hurting people was wrong but “Prince Harry had chosen his path and had blood on his hands for power and profit”.
He pleaded guilty at Uxbridge Magistrates’ Court to one count of making a threat to kill on May 25.
After analysing his laptop, police discovered a number of internet searches showing Islam had been researching Prince Harry’s protection team, his engagements and his general whereabouts.
A video showed him making threats to kill Prince Harry to camera whilst he was in Malaysia.
Islam’s sentencing has been adjourned until November 1 so a mental health assessment can be completed.